Thursday, February 19, 2009

Euphrates and Tigris Rivers


Today I am in Iraq. I am exploring the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. Did you know the sumarian name for the Tigris river is Idigna? I just found out that the Tigris river is approximentaly 1,200 miles long. I tried drinking it, it tasted like salt, and I HATE salt. I immediatly spit it out, yuck! The river occasionally flows southeast into the persian gulf. I also explored al of the tributaries to the Tigris river. They are the Great Zab, the Little Zab, the 'Adhaim, and the Diyala. They all have some interesting facts. Not that I have to tell you any. The capital of Iraq, Baghdad, lay on the bank of the Tigris. It was also a transportation route back then and I visited one of the places where it stopped, it was and still is one of the most important water sources in Iraq and all the other countries it runs through. The mosul dam lay on the Tigris river and is the biggest dam in Iraq. The mosul dam is pretty big. I tasted it. Blegh!


I am near the Euphrates river. I did what I did with the Tigris river, I tasted it.... what? Oh, not so blegh this time. I hiked north of where the Euphrates rive is. I found out it was near Anatolia. I went to a library and looked up Euphrates, did you know in Greek it means "furtilizing" or "fruitful?" I know huh? There is also a second translation, it means in Greek "to carry" or "to bring forward". In Hebrew it means "Stream" or "To break forth".

The Euphrates river is about 528 miles longer than the Tigris. I walked all the way down. That is why I am resting in the cabin I have writing in my diary. It also has no other notable tributaries. I also read some prophecies from Muhammed, and he told the people that the Euprates river will dry up and treasures will become of hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment