Monday, February 23, 2009

The mountains and plateaus of the Middle East



Well, first I am visiting the Taurus mountains in southwestern Turkey. While I was traveling up the mountain range I was also counting how high it was by meters and by feet. In meters it is 3,000-3,700 meters. It is somewhere in between there, because I know it is. In feet it is 10,000- 12,000 ft. Man was that a climb! Wow! Okay, I did some studying in another library because I like to learn, and I also found out that a lot of limestone is found there. I was also in the Taurus mountains when I found forests of Pine, some Cedar oak, and some Juniper (I had help from a guide that I hired to help me identify things. He is a real expert I will tell you that.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Mountains
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/584415/Taurus-Mountains

Now about the Elburz and Zagros mountains. Well the Elburz first. Did you know the Elburz mountains are also called the Alborz mountains? Man I went for a hike up there, man it was bright out! I almost fell down the whole mountains because I was blinded! Man it was cold! I did come across a field of grass and forests on one side. That moment just went slow mo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alborz

Now I am traveling through the Zagros mountains. Whoa! Just hike to the top of the mountain in the morning and you know what you see? You see a beautiful sight with the sun blazing out, the trees look happier... Oh yeah, back to the point! Well I hiked horizontally through these mountains and measured it. It was 1500 meters long!
Do you know how the Zagros mountains were formed? Two of the techtonic plates (ask science teacher if you don't know) collided into each other and that is how they formed. What I commonly see is what you call a salt dome or a salt glacier. If you want to know what they are go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alborz and go to salt dome or salt glacier (it should be highlighted blue). The salt domes and glaciers are also real important for petroleum exports, because it holds the breath of petroleum.
One last fact about the Zagros mountains. Did you know that the Zagros mountains that it is a geographic barrier that separates the flat lands of Mesopotamia and the Iranian plateau? Yeah. Information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zagros_Mountains.
There isn't to many plateaus that I can find here. So I will blog about the one I am living on.
Now about the plateaus. I am currently in the Iranian plateau. I was reading a book, and I found out that the plateau is 2,000 kilometers(or 3,280 miles). I am also figured out the hard way that the Iranian plateau has low-pressure, you know how? It rained a lot. If it is high pressure, it will not rain a lot, but if low pressure, it will rain more ofton. I am living next to a farmer who raises some livestock and his animals can predict when a storm is going to come. They go crazy! There was a stampede once!
I also read that the climate can change strangely. It can go from subtropical to polar conditions(Depending on the month)! I've been in this area for a whole year and I have witnessed all of the changes. Very cold sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment